Beans porridge is one of the healthy foods in the world.
It is a popular dish in Nigeria among the Igbo’s and Yoruba’s; and high in protein, complex carbohydrates, folate, iron, among other beneficial nutrients.
This meal is super easy and full of nutrients.
- 4- 5 slices of yam
- 3-4 cups of beans
- Dry pepper or fresh pepper (1 red bell pepper or 2-3 rodo pepper)
- 1 tablespoon of crayfish
- 1/2 – 1 Spoon of palm oil
- Measure out the beans and pick it clean of any dirt or dried out beans.
- Wash the beans once and pour into a clean pot
- Add water to about 2 inches above the beans, sliced onions and allow to boil till the beans is partially soft. (Note, beans takes a while to soften so you may need to add more water if the initial water dries)
- While the beans is cooking, peel the yam, rinse and cut into chunks.
- If you are using fresh pepper, blend them and keep it aside.
- Once the beans is half soft, add the sliced yams and allow to cook for about 7-10 mins.
- Add the pepper, salt to taste, maggi, crayfish and palm oil.
- Allow to cook till the yam is soft and any excess water is dried.
Meal is ready to serve!.