Cat fish is another delicious Nigerian pepper soup recipe. It is many Nigerian’s delight and is also easy to prepare.
Catfish Pepper Soup is called ‘point and kill”, because of how the fish is picked up at the local Nigerian market.
- 1 medium sized Catfish
- 2 spoonful Ground pepper soup spices
- Habanero/Chilli Pepper/ (to taste)
- 2 teaspoonful Dry Uziza/basil leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoonful of ground Crayfish
- 1 large Stock cube /1 tablespoon seasoning powder
- 1 medium Onion bulb(chopped)
- Salt – to taste Water (as needed)
1. If you don’t have the pre-packaged pepper soup spices in place you can prepare your own pepper soup spices.
2. Wash the catfish with lime juice or scrub with salt to remove the slimy/slippery coating on its skin.
Then rinse thoroughly and cut into smaller pieces.
3. Place in a pot, add enough water to cover the catfish. Add onions, stock cube and salt to taste. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes, add the ground pepper, ground crayfish and the ground pepper soup spices, mix thoroughly and cook until the catfish is cooked.
5.Add the Uziza or basil leaves and simmer for 30 seconds. Serve hot and enjoy.
Catfish Pepper Soup can be enjoyed alone as a side dish, or served as a meal, with boiled plantains, Eko (agidi), agidi, Jollof, boiled yams and potatoes.
Related protein soup related to this are goat meat, assorted meat, chicken or better still yam and fresh fish pepper soup.
How useful was this recipe
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: