So you want to prepare chickpea moi moi?
Then you’re in the right place.
Let’s face it:
Nigerian Moi Moi is a very delicious meal, and so delicious that even those who do not like beans enjoy eating Moi Moi.
But the main reason why people do not like preparing Moi Moi in their homes is because the cooking process is so time taking.
Going through peeling of beans, blending, steaming..
Let’s jump right in:
Get the following ingredients:
- 1½ cups chickpeas
- 1 habanero pepper (atarodo)
- 2 sweet peppers (fresh paprika)
- 1 big seasoning cube
- 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 onion
- Salt (to taste)
- Warm water (for grinding and mixing)
1. Rinse and soak the chickpeas in cool or lukewarm water for at least 3 hours or till you can cut the seed with your finger nails.
You will also be able to peel it by rubbing it between your thumb and index finger.
2. Pour the chickpea in a sieve to drain, after that pour in a bowl.
3. Rinse, deseed and chop the sweet peppers to help your blender.
4. Chop the onions and habanero pepper.
5. Add the chopped sweet peppers, onions, habanero pepper, ground crayfish and seasoning cube (crushed) into the bowl of soaked chickpeas.
6. Mix very well.
7. Blend in batches with warm water till you get a smooth puree.
For the quantity of water to use: when blending each batch, add water to just under the level of chickpeas in the blender.
That quantity of water is usually the right quantity of water for mixing the Chickpea Moi Moi.
8. Pour into a bowl.
Add the oil and salt to taste.
9. Mix very well and scoop into containers of your choice and cook in a steam pot.
But the bottom line is this:
For the quantity prepared in this recipe, cook it for 1 hour and for larger quantities, you will require a bit more time.
If the water in the post dries up as you cook, add more water.
When done, bring out the wraps of Moi Moi and spread on a tray to cool down to a comfortable temperature.
Now go turn the recipe in a delicious meal, and let me know how it goes in the comment below.
How useful was this recipe
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: