Boiled yam and egg sauce is a breakfast favourite and is quite easy to prepare.
Boiled yam and egg sauce is very easy to make. Typically in Nigeria, we use tomatoes, scotch bonnet chilli and onions in making this sauce. Feel free to make this your own, Egg sauce can also be eaten with bread.
- 1/2 tuber of yam
- Fresh tomatoes (8-15)
- 15cl vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- Fresh peppers
- Fresh eggs (2-3)
- Seasoning (curry, thyme)
- Knorr (2 cubes}
- Fresh green vegetables (pumpkin or moringa leaves)
- Potable water (3L)
1. Peel the yam. Cut into small sizes and put into a clean pot. Add enough water to cover all the slices. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and allow to boil for about 30 minutes.
2. Drain water from the cooked yam and put back on fire. Leave to dry completely.
3. Dice fresh tomatoes, onion and peppers into a saucepan. Do not add water. Leave to simmer.
4. Add vegetable oil sufficient to cover up all the ingredients in the pan. Add salt to taste.
5. Put in two cubes of Knorr, 1 teaspoon of curry powder and one teaspoon of thyme and saute for about 10-15 minutes.
6. Crack the eggs into a clean bowl and whisk until white and fluffy.
7. Gently pour the eggs into the mixture, stirring as you pour. Stir at intervals with a ladle.
8. Pluck pumpkin leaves or Moringa leaves. Wash twice with salt and rinse under running water.
9. Shred the vegetables and add them to the saucepan. Stir.
10. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
11. Serve yam and egg sauce together on a plate.