Ewedu leaves also known as Jute or Molokhia is among the popular foods in Yoruba land.
Ewedu soup is highly nutritious and has been medically proven to aid weight loss.
let’s dive right in..
- I Big Bunch of Ewedu Leaves
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 Tablespoon Locust Beans (Iru)
- 1 Heaped tablespoon Ground Crayfish
- 1 Bouillon cube, I’m using 1/2 Maggi Crayfish
- Salt to taste
- Pick your Ewedu leaves, make sure you don’t pick the stalk/stem along with it.
- Wash the leaves thoroughly to rid it of dirt.
- Pour the water into a medium size pan, place on a bob on medium heat, bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the Ewedu leaves and boil for 2 minutes, then add the locust beans, continue to boil till tender, this should take roughly 6-10 minutes
- If you’re using a broom (Ijabe), use the broom to pound the leaves….
- If you’re using a blender, take the Ewedu off the heat and leave to cool for a bit…don’t switch the heat off.
- Add the Ewedu into a blender along with the Iru, make sure you don’t add all the water, just 1/2 a cup should do.
Note: Too much water will affect the viscosity of your Ewedu.
Using the pulse function, pulse a few timesntill you get a semi-purée consistency
Transfer the Ewedu back into the pan, add the ground crayfish, bouillon cube and salt to taste…
Switch off the heat and let it simmer with the residual heat for 3 minutes….stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Do not over cook or the Ewedu will go brown.
And it’s ready….
How useful was this recipe
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: