Each country has its own national cuisine, special traditional dishes, delicious soups.
Any region or any nation is always ready to surprise tourists with unusual and delicious dishes.
Although, such culinary masterpiece, for instance, Nigerian egusi soup, may be called a delicacy only for tourists as for locals they make up their daily ration.
Egusi soup is made of protein-rich pumpkin seeds and melon seeds; they are also called Egusi seeds; To this African soup, Nigeria residents usually add leafy vegetables, goat meat, spices and seasonings like Chile.
By the way, it is considered to be one of the most popular Nigerian soups.
- Beef fillet;
- Ground CrayFish, 1 cup;
- Onion, 1 piece;
- Dry fish – heads;
- EGUSI SEEDS (Melon seeds), 2 cups;
- Semolina, 1 kg;
- Tomato paste;
- Salt, pepper, turmeric, any spice for taste;
- Palm oil, 1 Cup;
- Bitter leaves, spinach, pumpkin leaves;
- Bouillon cubes;
- First of all, a beef fillet is to be washed and cut into small cubes, then put in a saucepan.
- The same is to be done with crayfish and fish. It also applies to onion, other vegetables – everything should be salted.
- The next step – add 3 cups of water (or it depends on the amount of meat and fish you have) and cook it on the strong heat for about 15 minutes.
- After this time you are to change the heat (reduce it) and cook the soup for another half hour.
- While the meat is cooking, place Egusi seeds and a little water in a blender and mix it till the appearance of a homogeneous mixture.
- To make it easier to grind them, they can be previously soaked in warm water for about 15 minutes.
- Next is to put them in a bowl and set aside.
- When beef is tender enough, add pepper, salt, other spices and cook the dish for another 15 minutes..
- After this – reduce the heat to medium and add a mixture of Egusi seeds, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, palm oil, leaves, and spices..
- Cover the contents with lid and cook for another 30 minutes.