Nigerian Stewed Beans is a Nigerian Beans recipe made with Honey or Black Eyed Beans.
Stewed Beans is quite similar to the popular Beans Pottage, the main difference being the addition of ground fresh pepper.
Let’s cook! Foodie..
- 3 Cups Honey Beans
- 3 Cooking Spoons Palm Oil
- 2 Red Bell Pepper (Tatashe)
- 2 Tomatoes or 1/2 Can Plum Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Washed and Shredded Smoked Fish or Shawa
- 1 -2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper (Ata gungun)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Crayfish Powder
- 2 Onions
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Maggi Crayfish
- Salt to Taste
- Pick, then boil the beans on high heat with 1 chopped Onion, the Garlic Cloves and Salt to Taste.
- Boil till the beans become soft…
- Blend the Bell Peppers, Tomatoes and half of an onion until smooth, then set aside…
- While the Beans is boiling, place a saucepan on low to medium heat.
- Add the Palm oil.
- When the oil heats up, add 1/2 Chopped Onion and sauté till the Onions begin to caramelise, this should take 6-7 minutes.
- Now, add half of the Crayfish powder, continue to sauté for a further 2 minutes…
- Then add the Shawa or Smoked fish, Sauté for 2 minutes…
- Then add the blended Pepper…
- Now, add the Cayenne Pepper, the rest of the Crayfish and Maggi Crayfish..
- Then, continue to fry for 10 minutes.
- Remember to stir every now and then to prevent burning..
- After 10 minutes, transfer the Stew into the Beans…
- Reduce the heat to low, stir and combine. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Now, leave to simmer for 3 minutes. Your Nigerian Stewed Beans is ready…